Describe an example from your life of when you were taught using each method described in this article: behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructivism.

In this article I learned about three related learning theories (behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructivism).

First, behaviorists believe that learning is the connection between stimulus and response, and their basic assumption is: Behavior is a learner’s response to environmental stimuli. An example of behaviorism in my life is that when I learned words as a child, my mother would look at me with fierce eyes when I did wrong, but when I mastered the word skillfully, I would get rewards.

Second, the cognitivism approach emphasizes understanding and mental processes (such as thinking, problem solving, language, concept formation, and information processing). My example is when I was learning fractions as a child, rather than rote memorization, my teacher would first introduce the concept of fractions, give a clear definition, and explain their relevance in real life. They might use visual aids like score bar charts or pie charts to visually represent scores.

Finally, with regard to constructivism, they believe that knowledge is not abstract, but is related to the context under study and the experience that the participants bring to that context. My example is that in class, the teacher asked us to discuss the issue of inequality between men and women and express different views. These discussions made my learning process consider different explanations and think about different assumptions.